Sunday, July 17, 2005

Do you play International Cricket...

Location: Duane Reade Pharmacy Store
I am standing at the pay-counter waiting to get my bill so that i can pay for it and hurry to catch a metro to finish off my shopping. The guy behind the counter is looking at me in a strange manner.
"Say, can i ask you a question" he questions.
"Sure ..yeah" i said.
"Hmm..dya play cricket?"
I was caught by surprise by this question of his because cricket does not happen to be one of the most popular games out here.
"Yeah..i do"..i said.
"Are you from Pakistan?"
"India" i said a little miffed..
"Dya play international Cricket" the next question.

Suddenly i was confused. Was he asking me whether India has an international cricket team? well if he knew about cricket, then he wouldnt be that stupid not to know about Sachin, would he?
"Err...Do i play international cricket" I asked for confirmation, stressing on the "I"
"Yes, yes" came the eager reply.
"No" i said.
"Oh man, O man..you look so much like one guy i say playing in the West Indies. Cant remember his name, but i swear you look like him. When you walked in, i was like..Hey this is that cricket star..."
I was shocked. People have told me that i look like X or Y, but this was the first time that a comparison was made to a cricket player.
Needless to say, on the metro, i was thinking about which cricket player he would have meant, but sadly have not been able to figure that one out!!!!
Well..they say that there are 7 people in this world who looks like you...and one of my look alikes happens to be a cricket star!!!!

6 comments:

Mridul said...

He asked you whether you are from Pak and then said you resembled a west indian cricketer ?? Strange !


By thw way , blogrolled you ... what the hell does ellu mean ? :)
I have had shit loads of nicknames ... but never been called a bone !

VKM said...

Mridule,
He meant that he saw the pakistani team playing in West Indies and that i resembled a pakistani/indian cricketer.

ellu means "boney" as u have figured it out!! :-)

Soo..which is the book of the season now?

Girl With Big Eyes said...

You have been tagged with the Book meme at GWBE's.
Do oblige!

Unknown said...

Just followed a hunch I had after our last meeting. You had already told me where to check for the blog. Nice..keep up the good work.

Mridul said...

Update blog maadi !
And , belated congrats :-) You must be damn proud ! (Hmm , hence no time for blog updates ? )

Anonymous said...

:) vinode mone dinesha. me am here. pics to be put up tonight.