Monday, June 25, 2007

The Second Impression!

I have always prided myself on being able to correctly “read” a person within my first few meetings with him/her. My reading of a person, the “gut” feeling I get, would invariably be correct, at least 95% of the times. There have been a lot of scenarios in my college life, my professional life, and now again in my college life that I had formed an opinion about a person, which was not shared by my friends, and then they have come back and expressed the same opinion, after they got to understand it through experience (some good, some bad!).

But ISB gave me a couple of cases where I have been wrong. Pleasantly wrong. Which means, a person who I thought was most “unfriendly”, actually turned out to be quite nice. Let’s call this person X (rule 1 on my blog – no names!). When I first met X for the first few times, I had thought that X was “one of those types” who was aloof, not-mingling-with-everybody types. Although this opinion was formed with very few interactions, my special ability to correctly read people, which I thought was nearly infallible, led me to believe that this indeed, was the case. But how I was pleasantly surprised!
Over a period of time, I got a chance to interact with X, not out of choice mind you, but out of compulsion. One of the first things X told me was this.

“I am a little bit weird. So you might need to get used to this.”
I told X “I don’t think you are weird” But then I didn’t complete my sentence and if I had, then I wouldn’t be writing this post! The part I didn’t complete was “But I think you are arrogant”! :)

But over the past few weeks I have realized that this was one of those rare occasions when I had made an error of judgment. X came out to be a real sport and is funny, whacky and sometimes weird (albeit in a nice manner!) too.
I was pleasantly surprised to realize that there were some common things in terms of obsessive compulsive disorders, finding-stuff-funny-which-others-don’t, finding-things-ridiculous-which-others-don’t etc.
And that dont-try-to-talk-to-me-i-am-not-interested attitude kind of slowly changes once you got to know X.
So X is not arrogant, but is cool! Period. :)
So I am going to be careful going forward to make sure that I have sufficient interactions before I conclusively decide about how people are! But no, that does not mean that I am going to give up my intuitive powers!! No way!
It still is statistically significant! :)

8 comments:

Varuag said...

Yes, that's a good idea. People are generally complex creatures, and it is fair to judge them only after several interactions...

BTW, reading the 95% in the beginning, I was sure stats would come up somewhere :PPP

Your blogs are great fun! Good show...

Quest said...

:) I am almost positive I know whom you are talking about :D

And that person is damn cool.

VKM said...

varuag,
:)
thanks!

Quest,
You oughtta know! :)

Anonymous said...

I think, I got the person u r referring to...
Arun

Anonymous said...

If blogs take freedom of speech to a higher level, then I guess u shouldn't keep that - 'ur post will appear after the blog owner approves the comment' thing in ur blog. If it is a 'really bad' comment, then u always have the opportunity to delete it later.
Arun

VKM said...

arun,
absolutely. agreed. but why do you think blogspot had provided a mechanism like this?
Well, at least for me, this is to handle those kind of people who has the audacity to leave whatever comments that they wish to write but does not have the conviction to leave their names.
which, for the blog owner is pretty irritating. It is like you are communicating with internet explorer.
which, personally i dont like.
hence, this measure.

Kau said...

The good thing about life sometimes - is that people usually dont pay that much attention to each other. I guess thats why second chances arent a myth.
Hope your term is going well.
Kau

VKM said...

Kau
I guess thats very true at least out here.

wrong time to ask about the term..just came out from the 8th DMOP class! :)