Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Happiness...(One of my wanderings into the philosophical realms)

What is happiness?
“Man, it’s such a simple question”, you say.
Oh yeah? Just try figuring out the answer. How much time you want? 5 minutes? 1 hour? 1 day? 1 year?
Let’s not go further. By this time, if you have really whirled and twirled the question in your head, you would have come to realize that happiness is something which cannot be pinpointed.
So, if i give you a million dollars, would you be happy. Probably or probably not. Why so? Well, the million dollars wouldn’t do too much good if u had a terminal illness will it?
Aha..i can hear you saying "that’s not fair".
"Assuming i have a healthy life AND if u give me a million dollars, i would be happy", you say.
Right, so u have a healthy life and a million dollars, BUT have some relationships that are "disturbing"(for lack of a better word). Probably you are one of those self-made people who were blessed (quite deservingly) with the knack of getting ahead in the world, but the maker was not quite generous when it came to the relations that he(or is it a she? good topic for a debate, lets do it later!!) gave you.
So will you be happy?
So, there is no such thing in life that once we get it, we will be happy.
I had a talk with a person once and he told me "When i stopped for a moment and looked back at my life, i realized that i was always postponing the happiness by saying that i will become happy once i have this. Later when i achieved it, i would yet again tell myself "I would be happy when i get this" and then again postpone it". So i decided that this was not taking me anywhere and decided to do something about this" (What he did regarding this is not relevant to the topic).
This was something which every one of us does without really being aware of it.
When i was doing my 10th standard, i thought i would be happy if i scored a good percentage. Later i thought i would be happy if i managed to get into one of the best engineering colleges in the country. Later, i thought i will be happy if i managed to get placed from my college in a good firm. Later, i thought i will be happy if i got married to my girlfriend. Later i thought i will be happy if i managed to move into my dream company.
The fact of the matter is that, all these above things did happen, but the question remains "Am i happy?"
I NOW realize that happiness is a state of mind. Its up to me to decide whether i want to be happy or not. If i choose to be a brooding person, whatever good things comes my way, i am not destined to be happy. But if i tend to look at the positive side of life and make up my mind to be happy RIGHT NOW, then, life becomes so uncomplicated and light.
Trust me. Its a choice really, whether to be happy or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This is a global comment
Gone through most of your Posts, its really good.
But the background color is disturbing....
Black is good agreed.. I wish to buy a black camry some day & drive it with my black glass on.. That will be great.
But.....
Just a suggestion