Thursday, May 24, 2007

mallu and the mush

"You dont look like a mallu"
I really dont understand when people give me this line. I am often tempted to ask "So how do mallus look like?" and often end up asking this question to a lot of people too. But they immediately go on defensive and some of them think that I was offended by the statement.

It's not really that. Just how is a mallu supposed to look like?Are we supposed to sport a moustache and wear a "Lungi" and sport a gold chain and talk with an accent?
Now,just to clarify things, I am told about my non-mallu looks during the times when I have shaved off my mush. I never ceases to amaze me how removal of facial hair transforms me from having a hard-core mallu look to having a non-mallu look. This is probably the best example of stereotyping. That all mallu's should have a mush.

But then you cannot really blame them too. The typical image of a mallu, which is portrayed through the medium of movies shows all the popular actors in kerala sporting a thick moustache. I can confidently make the statement that no actor has succeeded in the malayalam movie industry by sporting a clean-shaven chocolate hero looks.

So probably it IS the mush! Rite?

This is probably the most cliched of my posts. Blame it on the pressures of assignments at ISB!

1 comment:

Mridul said...

hair today ... gone tomorrow :)